Jumping on a dirt bike is the ultimate power move. It’s exciting to see a rider fly through the air and land without missing a beat. If you are interested in jumping a dirt bike, it can seem like an intimidating process. How do you get the bike in the air? What happens when you come back down again and hit the dirt at a fast rate?
If you’re interested in learning how to jump a dirt bike, you’ve come to the right place. Read on to learn more about how to jump a dirt bike, what not to do, and how to get over a fear of leaping through the air on this machine. The more you know, the safer you can be in the process. Let’s get started.
How Do You Learn to Jump On a Dirt Bike?
It’s intimidating to jump on a dirt bike for the first time. You’re launching yourself off a dirt mound on a machine under your control. If it’s your first time, there are a few steps you should follow to complete the leap.
Here are the steps for jumping your bike:
- Pick the jump: Start with a small jump and ensure there is a nice place to land on the other side with plenty of room.
- Prepare your body: You need to have excellent posture as you head into the jump. You should stand with your body over your hips. You shouldn’t be too far forward or too far back.
- Watch the throttle: Push the throttle gently. You don’t want to throw your body off balance as you move forward.
- Land carefully: Try to land the bike on both tires at the same time. It needs to be as gentle as possible for maintained control.
It will take practice to perfect the process. Ensure you start small. If you’ve never jumped before, you don’t want to launch yourself off a massive jump. Work your way up and wear plenty of protection.
Here’s an awesome video showing how to jump a dirt bike, with more info below:
What Not to Do When You Jump a Dirt Bike
There are several steps you can follow for a successful jump. However, there are also some items you should avoid to prevent a dangerous situation on your dirt bike. The more you know, the safer you can be.
Here are a few things you should not do when jumping a dirt bike:
- Do not hit at an odd angle: Try to land with your tired straight on the ground. If you land at an angle, you might fly off the bike when it hits.
- Do not use the throttle incorrectly: Don’t throttle too much or too little. Too much could knock you off balance, while too little could send you into a nosedive.
- Do not avoid protection: Wear helmets, chest protection, and other defensive items to prevent injury.
- Do not accelerate in landing: Accelerate before you land for a smoother hit on the ground.
These could lead to disaster. You should also check the jump beforehand to ensure it’s safe enough to use. Note if anyone else is jumping or on the other side. If you crash into them, it could be deadly. Many dirt bikers have lost their lives crashing into others off a jump. (source)
How Do I Get Over My Fear of Jumping a Dirt Bike?
It’s scary to jump a dirt bike. Many professionals have done it for years and still get terrified when they approach the lift. Unfortunately, hesitancy on a jump can lead to dangerous landings. It’s critical to harness your fear of jumping a dirt bike if you want to hit bigger jumps in the future.
Here are a few ways to get over your fear of jumping on a dirt bike:
- Go over the jump slowly: Hit the jump in low gear a few times to prove to yourself that you can do it. Get faster over time until you can hit the jump at full speed.
- Meditate: Learn to control your fear with practices like meditation. Work on breathing and visualizing the jump ahead for ideal results.
- Learn from experts: Talk to experts and watch videos on the internet. The more you learn from these people, the better you will feel about the jump.
If you give these enough time, your fear will decrease. It’s good to be a little nervous when you hit a jump. That feeling will ensure you don’t make dumb decisions and keep you at the top of your game. Too much fear, however, will ruin a jump and make it dangerous.
How Do You Control a Dirt Bike In the Air?
It’s critical to control your bike in the air. The action allows you to perform tricks and permits a safe landing. However, it’s tricky to get the hang of control as a beginner. How do you control a dirt bike in the air?
You can control the bike by leaning back from your handlebars. This action will allow you to twist in the air and steer the bike as you get closer to the ground. It will also prevent your body from slamming into the handlebars when you hit the dirt.
How Do You Jump a Dirt Bike For Kids?
Dirt bikes aren’t just for adults. There are tons of kids that love to hit the dirt on their bikes. If you jump yours, there’s a chance they will want to jump. How do kids jump on a dirt bike?
Kids can follow the same steps as when they jump a dirt bike. However, the jump should be much smaller. You should not launch a kid off a massive jump, even if they know what they are doing.
A child should also wear tons of protective gear. They should have quality helmets, knee pads, chest protection, and other items to reduce harm if they crash. No matter how old you are, start small and work your way up. You will have an incredible experience on a jump in no time!